Documentation Review and Data Analytics
When child welfare organizations see their documentation and reporting simply as tools to meet a standard, or to communicate to external agencies and regulating bodies, huge opportunities are missed that cost time, money, and ultimately impact the quality of the service.
Very few organizations generate the same volume of reports that child, youth, and family serving organizations do. Each one, if well designed and used effectively, can tell the reader something about how to improve the organization and the programs and services being provided. The data captured in good reports contains knowledge that could change the life of a child or youth or change the world.
Effective reporting and data analysis can:
- identify employee training needs;
- point out areas for program improvement;
- reveal hidden health and safety issues;
- streamline scheduling and absence management processes;
- predict resource usage patterns; and
- inform policy development.
Aurelia works with your organization using a four-step process:
- First, we review your documentation, seeking to answer questions like, “Is the document or report current and clear in what it is asking of the reporter?”, “Is it capturing the right amount and type of information?”, “Does it reflect the organization’s vision and values?”, and “Does it capture data in a way that makes analysis possible?”. The results of this review will be presented to the organization’s leadership team
- Next, at the direction of the leadership team, we will work with your organization to implement changes to your documents and reports. Small changes may be implemented immediately, while more significant changes may involve a managed change process. In either case, effective communication within and outside of the organization is essential at this stage. In some cases, staff may require additional training or upskilling, depending on the scope of the revisions.
- The new documentation will then be ‘piloted’ within the organization, and the results analyzed to: (a) ensure the new tools are being used by staff as intended; (b) ensure the new documentation is effectively capturing the data it was designed to capture; and (c) ensure that the documentation revisions are meeting organizational needs as intended.
- Aurelia can support you in analyzing the data provided by the documentation and provide the teaching and tools that can be used to monitor, analyze, and interpret this data on your own.
Once thoroughly implemented throughout your organization, the revised documentation will meet reporting standards and communication requirements.
More importantly, this process will provide you with the tools and knowledge you need to turn data into tangible, actionable information that improves your organization and the lives of those you serve.